Wednesday, June 14, 2006

But They Don't Let You Ride the Camels Anymore....

When I went to SanDiego with my friends last weekend, I compromised with them: NO SeaWorld, OK SanDiego Zoo. Going to the zoo was not something I was particularly excited about, but it was the CLEAR winner. I've only been to SeaWorld twice and I've been to the SanDiego Zoo numerous times, but both SeaWorld trips were a total bust! (No penguins? WTF?)
Now maybe it was the venti latte I had right before we went...

But when we got to the zoo's entrace, I was excited!

The day had it's winners and losers but I did some major thinking that day about zoos. After spending the day there, and talking to my friend Melissa at the zoo while Kendall took OVER 300 PICTURES of ANIMALS AND FLOWERS, I have come to a conclusion about zoos and the reason we (or more accurately I), have such a love/ hate thing going on.

Taking pictures in front of an elephant with your friends....

SUPER COOL!

Seeing a hippopatamus in person?

CRAZY AMAZING!


But birds that look like parakeets?

BULLSHIT!

DUCKS!?

SUPER BULLSHIT!

Exhibits like that make me bored, angry and make me want to drink tequilla straight from a bottle in a closet..... (Note: It's true- see- I'm wearing the same dress as in the zoo pictures!)

So that's my conclusion! Thank you for letting me get on my soap box.....


Or fake hippopatamus, as it were.

11 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SeaWorld has penguins! Hello, "Penguin Encounter" ??!!! You stand on a moving sidewalk thingy. If you are gonna insult Sea World, please do so accurately. (I used to have a dream abt working there when I was little.)

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok helen, it might be "true" about the drinking straight from the bottle. (yes you are wearing the same dress)... but i really can't believe this whole zoo story of yours because you say you are "excited at the zoo's entrance," but we can all see you are wearing a different outfit in that picture. unless you and your "friend" brought a change of clothes. i hope they find & post this inaccuracy on dealbreaker.com.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, may I ask, is wrong with parrots?? Seeing them in a close approximation of their natural surroundings both raises awareness of habitat destruction and is fun!!

I can't believe I'm friends with you...at least you like elephants. And tequila.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well maybe the parakeets are there to be fed to something like the hippo.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Jenn:Ok, when I went to SeaWorld BOTH times there was a lack of penguins in "Penguin Encounter" They're SUPPOSED to be there but there were no encounters had b/t me and the penguins

Janet: I am aware that I am wearing a different outfit in the latte picture, but I had a latte everyday and no pictures with one that morning. Also why do you put "friend" in quotes? Do you not believe I have friends?

Sarah: Nothing is wrong with parrots but I did travel to the ZOO to see them. If I wanted to see a parrot, or some bird like a parrot, I'd go to Brooklyn!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Helen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow helen, you are really getting ripped to shreads w this one by all your closest "friends" - speaking of which, when have I ever spelled JEN with two 'n's??!! WTF?!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Helen said...

SO I MADE A SPELLING ERROR! I'M HUMAN! I feel so picked on! I've gotta walk this off.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now i kinda feel a little bad. i know you have "friends." and we all seem to be "on edge" today. funny.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Vhessa said...

Gosh! Your "friends" are sooo honest! That's good... I think (or maybe not).

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first let me say, as one of the "friends" i'm deeply hurt to be living inside of quotation marks.

also, i would like to defend my 300 pictures by claiming that i am an artist (as evidenced by the beautiful shot of the hippos). but, since i'm actually not (despite said hippo shot) i guess it will just remain a claim.

the ducks were adorable. admit it.

finally, helen, i really don't understand your choice of the closet shot. there were clearly more amusing options.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home