Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Katie is a leavin'!

Sadness. I really like the current Today show dynamic and I, for some reason have always had ill feelings towards CBS. (WTF? What teenage girl has ill feelings towards a network? For some reason I did.

15 yr old Helen: Oh that show's good?
15 yr old Friend: Yeah I really like it- you'd like it
Helen: Cool I'll watch, when and where?
Friend: Channel 2 (NY CBS)
Helen: Oh, don't bother going any further, I don't do CBS)

In high school when I got a column in the local Long Island paper they printed an article and interview about me before it started. My best friend's mother, Judy, thought it was hysterical/ disturbing that when they asked me what I wanted to be when I was older I said "a talking head." She tried to explain to me that that really gave out negative connotations about me being basically just pretty and able to string words together and she knew I wanted more than that. (It didn't help that there was me, 17 years old in a little white tank top, all tan and blonde from the summer with a big teethy smile right next to the quote.) I didn't get what was so negative about being called pretty and able to string words together by my friend's mom, that sounded nice enough.... so...maybe the assumption was appropriate...But NOW I do- NOW I'M SMART ENOUGH, I GET IT NOW JUDY! (I'd still love to BE a talking head, but I'd come up with something way more intelligent sounding to describe it.)

This morning as I was reading an article about Katie's possible replacements, it made me think of this because it referred to Ann Curry as a 'news reader." Ouch. I can't decide whether I'd rather be a 'news reader' or a 'talking head' but at this point I think I'd take either. Got any news reader positions out there people?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home