Wednesday, March 01, 2006

more like ASS Wednesday!

Ash Wednesday pisses me off.

That's right, I, a girl who is not unfaithful has said that a religious holiday pisses her off.

And I mean it. It's pissed me off since I was little and I knew waking up that it would piss me off today. It made me feel kind of bad and left out when I was a little Protestant girl, but I couldn't pin point why. Now I understand: Ash Wednesday is the biggest holiday for the pious and judgmental Catholic people who both are and aren't religious. People walk around with that shit on their head all day as they're being dicks, probably dickier than usual, (that's the judgmental) then they give us non Catholics dirty looks when we look confused at the sighting of our first pious & judgmental Catholic of the day.

"What was I looking at? I was looking at the huge black mark on your head, I was going to warn you that you look like an asshole, but apparently you're doing it on purpose." People get mad if you don't tell them they have food in their teeth- why would I not tell you you have a giant black mark on your head-- I don't' remember the dates for your silly holidays. "Also, you probably don't pray OR go to Church. But mostly, you don't even do semi- Godly things!"

Like that woman I got into an altercation on the escalator this morning--I bet she is now walking around with ashes. I was pretty nice to her, especially considering what she was doing-- She was standing on the left side of the escalator and not moving during rush hour.

Me: 'scuse me (I said POLITELY! with a little smile even,as the long line of people behind me yelled and grunted at the hold up.)
Her: What?
Me: Can I get through?
(She ignores me and turns forward)
Me: This is the side for walking, (I point at the empty space in front of her) RIGHT (I point to the long line of people) is the side for standing (STILL POLITE I SWEAR! and people behind were yelling "MOVE" and "EXCUUSE ME" over their ipod music.

Her:It's not a rule.

ME: YES it's a rule. (Politely, but emphatically, because I think, it's not a LAW, but it's kind of a rule.

Her: DON'T BOTHER ME

Jesus!

OOPS! I mean Jeez.

Now I bet that woman is walking around with shit on her forehead.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a former Catholic, not anything now, but I used to always hate it because so many people I knew used to drink, sleep with as many people as they could, make crude jokes, but lent rolled around and they gave up candy bars (not the booze) and put those ashes on their heads. I used to be offended growing up in the Bible Belt when people would comment on it, but now living in Boston where everyone's Catholic, and seeing how judgmental they are of us non-Catholics today just made me sick. My elevator story: girl with the ashes in the elevator was explaining it to her roommates, saying "only Catholics celebrate lent because only Catholics are willing to make sacrifices." Funny thing is she lives 3 doors down from me, and there's a new guy there every Friday night. I wonder if she'll sacrifice sinning for lent?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home