Thursday, February 16, 2006

Q: Why Shouldn't I Marry an Investment Banker? A.Because I'm the boss's daughter

This morning in the kitchen at work I was putting together my breakfast (oatmeal, half a cup of coffee and water) when a middle aged woman walked in and we had this interaction:

She smiles at me more than the obligitory, 'I don't recognize you but we work in the same office' smile.

I smile back.

Her: Who's your dad?
Me: Excuse me?
Her: Your dad, you came to work with him? (smiles brightly)
Me: Ohhhhhh.. uh...

I search for some way to tell her but not make it awkward, not before she says:

Her: Ya know I saw the memo about "bring your daughter to work day" but I have 2 sons and I would have brought them. I thought it was in the future though, I didn't realize it was today.
Me: I'm filling in for Megan whose on maternity leave.
Her: So your dad doesn't work here?
Me: I work here.
Her: (factually) But you're too young.
Me: I'm not, I work here.
Her: You are very... you are way too young to work here.

As the conversation continues she never considers the fact that I am not in fact as young as I may look to her. She continues to insist that I shoudn't work here.

I was considering changing my age range when people ask me, as they do at auditions and meetings. I figured I can no longer legitimitly pass for someone in my mid-teens.

Consideration over.

In her defense maybe I shouldn't dress like I jumped out of an American Eagle catalog when I come to work at an investment bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home