Monday, September 26, 2005

Shout out to Beatrice and a Van Driver

At a time when my faith in human beings is faltering, I was rewarded with two of the nicest people I could run into today.

#1 Beatrice- the saleswoman at the JCrew at Columbus Circle. I'm going to look up "Best Retail Worker in Manhattan" contests. This woman is the mother I always dreamed of having (no offense mom). She was an Upper West side type and it made no sense that she was working the dressing room rather than owning it. If the JCrew catalog had a "mature woman model" section, this woman would have been their star. Cute khakis, beautiful brown sweater, trendy but classy costume jewelry necklaces that must have cost about 5 weeks JCrew salary. She offered me water upon entering the dressing room and was helping a woman who was changing in the dressing room decide on outfits. At one point she said "those are great shirts but the white really flatters you- this green color, I don't know, I can't imagine that you would have much that would match it." She said it like she actually did care. She kept saying "we are just so busy today, I hope it's ok that you're waiting here sweetheart- you SURE you don't want some water?" And when the dressing room opened she winked at me and said "you're in." I was in such a good mood I bought two shirts and when the cashier asked me if anyone helped me I proudly said "BEATRICE!"

#2 Random driver- Kendall drove around her block for an hour trying to find a parking spot, finally she called to tell me that she was gonna bite the bullet and pull into a $12 an hour parking garage. After she did, she walked in front of her building to where I was standing and as she was complaining about how absurdly priced the garage was this man directly in front of her building hopped into his van. We both looked in horror at the van and he caught our eyes. "Can you wait 5 minutes?" Kendall asked. I don't even know why she was compelled to ask such an absurd question. "Sure," he said and hopped out. He patiently waited and 10-15 minutes later Kendall pulled up in her car and he directed her into the spot as she parallel parked and then he drove away.

Thank you random people for giving me hope when very not random people are ripping it away.

And I really am looking into the best retail sales person in New York awards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home