Friday, July 15, 2005

Watch out below

Anyone who knows me and watched the news today knows that today was NOT a good day for me. I woke up to find out that on 100th and Broadway (just 5 blocks from where I used to house sit back in the day) a construction site had collapsed. COLLAPSED! WTF?

There are construction sites all over Manhattan and I never walk under them. If I'm with someone who I feel embarrased about sharing this fear with... I still try to maneuver around the site. This makes me unable to converse and jittery and they probably end up thinking I'm crazy anyway. There are construction sites every other block, so it can get kind of tricky, but I've surveyed them all and there are certain ones that I don't freak out as much around.

So....It was a summer evening 5 years ago and I was leaving my internship and had just met my boyfriend to hang out post work. Walking down 57th Street between Broadway and 7th a board fell from across the street, over my head and fell right behind me grazing my ponytail! The ground literally shook. I didnt' realize what had happened and thought that Manhattan had had a brief earthquake, I did.. I was like "woh weird!" and my boyfriend said "do you.... realize what just happened" and he told me to turn around and there it was- an 8 X 5 foot, 2 inche thick, (1 inch of wood, one of metal) board! And then I looked up and realized the fast moving rush hour foot traffic had stopped and everyone was staring at me, on their cell phones with their mouths open.

What I later found out was that on the roof of the building that the board had come from there was some construction going on and the wind had picked it up.It was truly the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. Thinking about it freaks me out now.

So you can imagine that I was twitching even more today around construction sites. And I had to cut through Times Square today and that kind of freaked me out. Then a few people I know were at this theatre and someone jumped from the building across the way and died.. When Jen told me I felt ill and sad, but mostly I was just thinking- what if you were walking down the street and a person fell on you? I don't know how long this imagine is going to freak me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home